Saturday, April 17, 2021

 

Last week I had watched again a very emotional and inspiring program on NHK- " Regaining Names". It was dedicated to the Miyagi Prefectural Police's search for victims of the earthquake and tsunami. It covered their detail-oriented and endless search for people who lost their lives and finding their remains to help them reunite with their families and thus regain their names. 

It talked about this person's self-imposed mission to trace each and everyone who was lost to their family in that natural disaster. He felt all of them and every last of them should return home and I believe that is the greatest thing one can do for others. Helping someone regain their name and identity is the most significant thing you can do for someone because your name defines you.  This real-life story demonstrates the deep sensitivity of the people involved in it. Here they helped people who lost their lives regain their names and identities. Once again it goes to show that deep emotions matter to Japanese people and that is so much part of their strength! 

I always say that having emotions is not a weakness but a true strength that gives one the courage to do and address things with deep commitment. It is essential to deeply appreciate and honour the feelings of others!

 This program made me think that in life some people who still have life in them also need to regain and find themselves and meet closures in matters of relationships and tragedies. Everybody living or not deserves closure to either regain their identities or regain their lives. We must be there to provide such closures to people to lead better lives or find peace in painful partings. Partings and Separations are never easy but one can help people find a sense of peace through proper closures. 

In the story of " Regaining Names", one person in particular Abe san helped people get closure through the composite sketches drawn by him whereby victims were identified. He taught his son that is important to "approach any task with unfaltering dedication". That is the most beautiful trait of a Japanese person. That is something my parents and grandparents have taught me too. I approach everything with absolute dedication and commitment. Such an approach makes life worthwhile and satisfying. 

Anytime I feel lost and need to establish a direction in life, I find solace in the Japanese way of thought. Japanese way of life and Japanese culture translate my thoughts in many ways. It is as if they define my beliefs and me. I relate so much to it in terms of their sensitivity, appreciation, and creativity towards life. 

All cultures have many positive things to offer and we must learn from them. I come from a very ancient and rich culture too and which is deeply rooted in me. And I often rely on the ancient teachings in my culture to give me strength and purpose in life. Yet it is important to explore other cultures too to understand what is important to others too and deepen cultural sensitivity. I think that in giving to others do we truly find happiness and peace. I believe that in doing for others we find ourselves...    

No comments:

Translate

TRANSLATIONS ALL LANGUAGES