Sunday, October 31, 2021

Food For Thought !

 

Cooking can sometimes cook stories! Cooking can invite stories revolving around the origin of the dishes. It is so creative to be able to create something in just a matter of few minutes. The magic of cooking is that it uplifts and relaxes you. 

 In the taste of certain cooking can you find relishing moments that are bygone. I had watched "Bun Maska" on Netflix some months back. It was a nice movie with a touching note. It reminded me that in taste can you find lost moments. And in places reside memories so vivid. This movie gave importance to legacy and tradition.

Every time I cook I am taken back to such happy and special moments spent with family and specially grandparents. Certain aromas remind me of wonderful times that I cherish till date. Being away from home certain aromas bring me closer to home. The tastes of certain dishes can really remind you of your mother or grandmothers. Once I had cooked something that so reminded my brother of my mother's cooking. Naturally being a daughter I cook the same way as my mother. I always say that sons may inherit the name of the family but daughters inherit the taste ("swad") of the home they were brought up in which is something so deep and precious that she takes with her to another home.

Food can make you quite philosophical too since it evokes certain thoughts, emotions and ideas in you. Something as simple as everyday traditional cooking can be food for thought!   Cooking can inspire me to write since I am very relaxed then and have time to reflect while waiting for the culmination of the ingredients to form a delicious dish. That's when my thoughts wander and the various sounds and aromas of the cooking create this world of thoughts for me where I get inspired to compare life to the experiences of the methods of cooking since I like to draw deep comparisons between many a things.

The other day while frying onions for a dish called biryani my thought was- When life fries you, you fry onions! Really such thoughts can make you feel somewhat better as they are therapeutic in some ways. The crackling sound of the onions in sizzling hot oil is a sound that I like since it relaxes me because it reminds me of home when onions used to be fried in the kitchen for biryani. Hence it is a comfort zone of sorts for me and the same goes with baking. I was actually thinking that after being deep-fried or shallow fried, onions can be used to enhance the flavour of so many dishes from biryani to burgers. The same way when life fries you, you can then adapt to every taste of life bitter and sweet !                 

No comments:

Translate

TRANSLATIONS ALL LANGUAGES