Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Traditional Japanese Dolls

While living in Mie- ken I learnt more about Traditional Japanese Dolls. We have a collection of traditional Japanese dolls at our home. They were presented to us by a close friend and ex- Defencare Attaché of Japan to India in the 80s. But I got an opportunity to study about them when I was teaching in Mie. Most of my seniors there knew the art of making traditional dolls. It was an honour to receive their hand made dolls as gifts. I possess Ichimatsu and Kimekomi dolls...As a child in Tokyo, some of my friends also made paper dolls for me which again is an art form by itself. Kimekomi dolls date back to Edo period and to put it simply are made of cloth and wood. Ki means tree/ wood and mekomi refers to the technique of the tucking of the fabric...Traditional Japanese dolls represent children,warriors and ladies in kimono...They are used in the Dolls Festival- Hina Matsuri and as gifts to friends and family. Ichimatsu dolls represent little boys and girls.They were presented by Japan to the United States  in the Friendship Doll Exchange in the 1920s. I will share the picture of these dolls another time...
Traditional Japanese Dolls Handmade by a friend Ezaki San  in Mie-ken

No comments:

Translate

TRANSLATIONS ALL LANGUAGES